Local Inbound Marketing

Search

Local Inbound Marketing

Local Search Engine Optimization

March 22, 2010

Local Search Engine Optimization

Thank you for coming to the Local Search Engine Optimization workshop Saturday in Nashville. If you made it to this blog post you probably liked what you learned and are ready to roll-up to sleeves and get to work. The links and notes below should provide some assistance in helping your business get found online. If you still have questions please visit our contact page.

  • GetListed.org
  • How local search data providers impact local listings
  • Why the consistent use of Name, Address, and Phone Number is critical.
  • Keep a list of the usernames and passwords you create on each of the local listing sites so you can make changes in the future.
  • Choose your categories wisely. On Google you may choose up to five categories, make sure to use all of them. It is okay to change your categories to reflect the seasonality of your business (Deck Repair – Spring/Summer, Christmas Lights – November/December).
  • Add Pictures to your profile. A 60 x 90 logo image, loaded into the first image position, is optimally sized for display throughout Google Maps.
  • If you don’t upload your own image, Google may insert content from other sites, which may not always favorable, as demonstrated in the image below.

Google Local Business Center Image Overide

  • Add videos to your profile
  • Encourage customers to write reviews of your business
  • Monitor your businesses reputation
  • Claim your listing on Bing
  • Claim your listng on Yahoo
  • Claim your listing on Best of the Web (Free version)
  • You can only do so much to optimize listing with the elements you control. A good rule of thumb is that 15% of optimization comes from things you can control on page, the remaining 85% of your ranking comes from off page elements such as, links, citations and third-party reviews.
  • Remember the silver bullet to Local Search Engine Optimization is doing a lot of little things right. Just like your business success is achieved by keeping your eye on the ball every day and continually monitoring and reviewing your progress. If you have further questions, please submit them using the contact form.

Circle Craig Baerwaldt on Google+

One Response

  1. Scott J. says:

    Very helpful info. There is so much to learn for small businesses like mine on local search. This really helps cut through the clutter and figure out how to use our time and money wisely to get results.

    March 23rd, 2010 at 4:59 am

Leave a reply

Logged in as (Logout)